Mysterious bug: shifts from Drive to Neutral in stop and go - Maserati Levante Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC and RI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mysterious bug: shifts from Drive to Neutral in stop and go

I posted the below as a reply in another thread, but I really think it needs it's own thread since this is a serious problem that might result in Maserati giving everyone of you a call to bring her into the shop for a software upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi View Post
I have something far more troubling to report. My Levante has been mysteriously shifting from Drive to Neutral on me! Luckily only in stop and go traffic, but very troubling. Have to hit the breaks and re-engage into drive. A few times I had to re-start. The Levante is in the shop now and they were able to re-create the issue, and capture video, but its kind of freaking me out as they have had the Truck for three days now and no fix yet... Ouch. I hope this is not a design flaw. Let me know if any of you experience this -- they said I was the first.
Since the time of this post, it is now been one week that the truck is in the shop. In terms of other reports, another owner reported the exact same problem on a trip between New Jersey and Canada, with the truck also mysteriously moving from drive to neutral in stop and go traffic. The dealership also has the problem with their floor model. I have also been told that Maserati is all over the problem and that it's a software upgrade that they expect to have ready sometime this week. Apparently they're waiting clearance from the US regulators.

I guess I always expected there would be issues as I was probably one of the first people to pick up the Levante, a brand new model, in late September. As one bonus, they did give me a loaner brand new 2017 Ghibli Q4 which was frankly a blast to drive over the weekend.

Last edited by Bengoshi; 12-12-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Bengoshi is offline  
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC and RI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another update, for anyone who cares (and I'm surprised more here are not posting on this! It is pretty insane). I'm advised my Levante will be in the shop for another week (over 14 day total) while Maserti finalizes the software update and confirms its ready for public consumption. I hear that a "bulletin" is also likely to go out, so whether you experience this problem yet, or not, you will be visiting your friendly dealership for the upgrade soon enough.

Please report any issues here, and to your dealer, obviously.
Bengoshi is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:52 PM
Joe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi View Post
Another update, for anyone who cares (and I'm surprised more here are not posting on this! It is pretty insane). I'm advised my Levante will be in the shop for another week (over 14 day total) while Maserti finalizes the software update and confirms its ready for public consumption. I hear that a "bulletin" is also likely to go out, so whether you experience this problem yet, or not, you will be visiting your friendly dealership for the upgrade soon enough.

Please report any issues here, and to your dealer, obviously.
Sorry to hear you've been without for two weeks. Service department at Ray Catena Maserati in NJ seemed, as of yesterday, unaware of the "shift to neutral" issue. Which dealer are you using? I'll ask RCM to call them, if they are still not up to speed. Thanks!

Joe B.
2017 Levante S
Grigio Maratea

Joe is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC and RI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Sorry to hear you've been without for two weeks. Service department at Ray Catena Maserati in NJ seemed, as of yesterday, unaware of the "shift to neutral" issue. Which dealer are you using? I'll ask RCM to call them, if they are still not up to speed. Thanks!
Maserati of Manhattan. The boys there are top tier and on top of it. They drove her hard and were able to capture video of the Levante mysteriously shifting to neutral. Maserati USA and Modena are in the loop and Ray Catena will get a bulletin about a software upgrade soon enough. Unfortunately, we early adopters are the Guinea pigs, but in a way it's cool. And I do like my courtesy car Ghibli. Can't say it sucks...
Bengoshi is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Joe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info on this issue. I'm happy that it is a software problem and not a hardware one....I'm driving back to NJ early next week and then into Ray Catena Maserati.
Incidentally, being in Montreal has given me the opportunity (after two days of snow) to check out the I.C.E. mode...it's awesome! Great feature for slick roads!

Joe B.
2017 Levante S
Grigio Maratea

Joe is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC and RI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Thanks for all the info on this issue. I'm happy that it is a software problem and not a hardware one....I'm driving back to NJ early next week and then into Ray Catena Maserati.
Incidentally, being in Montreal has given me the opportunity (after two days of snow) to check out the I.C.E. mode...it's awesome! Great feature for slick roads!
That's great to hear on the I.C.E. I drive weekly from Rhode Island to NYC and keep it in ICE so I can make it home and back with one tank of gas. No point in blasting it into Sport in stop and go I-95 traffic. And it actually cranks in ICE too, no slouch (if you need a little pep, downshift). What wheels do you have? Curious as to how my 20" will handle the snow. (And be careful with that drive to neutral thing on the way back...)
Bengoshi is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Joe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi View Post
That's great to hear on the I.C.E. I drive weekly from Rhode Island to NYC and keep it in ICE so I can make it home and back with one tank of gas. No point in blasting it into Sport in stop and go I-95 traffic. And it actually cranks in ICE too, no slouch (if you need a little pep, downshift). What wheels do you have? Curious as to how my 20" will handle the snow. (And be careful with that drive to neutral thing on the way back...)
I have 19" wheels...I had to "sell" a smoother ride to my wife. Hopefully, I won't hit stop and go traffic until I get to Garden State Parkway (I always seem to hit it a rush hour). I was actually pleasantly surprised at gas mileage on the way up to Montreal from Atlantic City...even with Adirondack hills! That was in Normal mode, mostly on Cruise Control. I'll try I.C.E. on the way back down.

Joe B.
2017 Levante S
Grigio Maratea

Joe is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Courtesy car being a Ghibli, can't go wrong with that. Being the guinea pig does suck though. But without you guys, these issues wouldn't be sorted out for the future owners, we salute you ;)
Maze is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC and RI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. "All I want for Christmas is my Verde Ossido back, my Verde Ossido back...."
Bengoshi is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
all I want for Christmas is my Verdo Ossodo!!.. ordered in september... still on the boat somewhere... cant wait to see it.... What color interior did you go with?
Jeff Pelletier is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome