Maserati Levante Forum banner

Tow Bar

19K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  stevenuch 
#1 ·
Does adding a Tow hitch etc void warranty ?

#4 ·
I'm adding a tow hitch to my Levante. Talked to a dealership and they now have a "Towhook Retrofit Kit", evidently the wiring is already there on all vehicles, you just have to pay for the hitch. They quoted $970 + labor. If the dealership does the work then the warranty would still be valid...obviously check with them first

#6 ·
hitch

Could you please forward the part numbers for the retrofit let? My local dealership seems unaware of anything available for towing unless installed at the factory. I have my eyes on a beautiful leftover 2017 that has virtually everything I desire, except the hitch. As I would to tow a boat (infrequently), this would be a deal killer. All aftermarket hitch retailers I have seen do not offer the software/electronic accommodations and their systems are unattractive and "inelegant". I do not want to affect the warranty. So, if there is something available from Maserati, please forward the information I can take to the dealership. Doc

#8 ·
I have the information but the file is too large to attach on here and I this forum will not let me post my email address. This may be of help, ask the dealer to look up Aftersales Marketing Communication MAS001420_US dated December, 2017. Hope this helps

#9 ·
tow hitch/package

The search for a Maserati retro fit hitch kit has been one of the most interesting and infuriating experiences of my car buying life. After contacting several dealerships, in service, sales and parts, here is the information received from these folks.
1. Some say you cannot retro fit a hitch package to any Levante. It can only come on cars built in Italy.
2. Some say you can only do it on vehicles with certain VINs after a certain number that they could not provide. It had something to do with US regulations and certification. It's far too confusing to repeat the entire story.
3. Some say they can do it, but must remove all the rear body panels and the rear exhaust system to do it and add new skid plates.
4. Those that claim it can be done charge around $3000, all in.
5. Installation alone, from those dealerships who would provide just a little information but no parts numbers was about $2500. They would not provide the parts numbers unless I told them they would also do the install.
6. Maserati USA has completely different information than Maserati in Italy.

This was bizarre to say the least. There are a few new Levante's, even a few 2017's, for sale that have the package. The issue is that to get the options I want on a Levante, those that directly compete with what I want on a loaded Cayenne or X5, I must order it from the factory. So many of the few Levantes with tow come so specialized with oodles of color, cosmetic and upholstery options (some pretty bizarre), that well equipped ones in stock are priced with or beyond Cayenne GTS' and X5M's. And, I'm sorry but, $3000 is outrageous. This is a hitch on an SUV, not a 612 Scaglietti.

It is so frustrating that even if I find one in stock that I really like, I must pass because the dealership or the factory didn't include a $650 tow package on a $90,000 SUV, or a simple and reasonably priced retro fit.

I guess this is the "price of admission" to the Maserati club.

#10 ·
I just ordered the tow package and it will be fitted next week. I'll update you once it was done. This has been a frustrating process as the dealership here in Cleveland is clueless. Here are the facts...so far. If your Levante has a rear skidplate with an access panel you only need to buy the Towhook Retrofit Kit for about $970 plus labor, it comes with a 4 pin connector for wiring. If you do not have a skidplate with access panel it gets really expensive, around $4K.

#12 ·
Hello, I have one Original Maserati Levante Trailer tow kit (retrofit Kit) for sale if anyone is interested. New to the forum so can't post photos or PM until i get enough posts.
You can text me at 540-205-9241 for more details.

#14 ·
I'm looking for the same thing - would like to use my existing bike rack with the Levante. Chesh, can you private message me and send along any info you have? My dealer says they pt my VIN into the system and it says the tow hook wouldn't work for me, but i think they were looking at the original factory solution, not the retrofit kit.

#17 ·
I'm interested in adding the tow package. One question I have is that there doesn't appear to be a rear crash structure part that doesn't have a tow receiver (either ROW or NAFTA). Is it possible all that is needed is the tow hook and trailer module?

A couple sites list the parts: scuderiacarparts.com and eurospares.co.uk

#18 ·
I had the dealer install the factory hitch when I bought the car. It involves disassembling the entire rear of the car, replacing the rear inner bumper, disabling the kick to open the tailgate feature, and re programming the computer. It took them 1 1/2 weeks. I would recommend finding a dealer that has done one before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.