Maserati Levante Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 2021 Levante S GranLusso. It's great!! Only annoying problem is the dreaded "drone" noise that occurs at cruising speed when in Normal mode. I have noticed it only occurs under load at certain RPMs: 1400 - 1900 rpm. I have done some research and looks like it's a dreaded noise that comes with performance exhausts. Has anyone experienced this drone sound? If so, how did you resolve the issue? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased 2021 Levante S GranLusso. It's great!! Only annoying problem is the dreaded "drone" noise that occurs at cruising speed when in Normal mode. I have noticed it only occurs under load at certain RPMs: 1400 - 1900 rpm. I have done some research and looks like it's a dreaded noise that comes with performance exhausts. Has anyone experienced this drone sound? If so, how did you resolve the issue? Thank you in advance.
Problem solved! I used a Helmholtz resonator on each exhaust line. The dreaded "drone" is gone and the Maserati exhaust notes are all there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, I found the frequency I needed to cancel. For my 2021 Levante, it was about 95hz (1800 rpm range). I had a machine shop make me a adjustable cylinder connected to a 1.5in diameter tube (neck tube).
Light Automotive tire Hood Automotive exhaust Automotive design

I did this homemade helmholtz resonator so I can experiment with the size of cylinder to my needs. Using the frequency and length of neck pipe, I used the formula to calculate the size of chamber volume (cylinder) I needed.
Product Font Material property Parallel Circle

I had to adjust the cylinder a few times to get the perfect spot. I was able to get rid of the deep drone around 1500rpm. I am going to get the machine shop to re-do the whole homemade helmholtz resonator with my "tweeked" final dimensions. The key thing in my calculations was the neck pipe length.
Here are some examples of what the final product should look like:
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Font Office equipment Bullet Ammunition Gun accessory

Drinkware Tableware Automotive design Rectangle Grille

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.