Maserati Levante Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche was once a brand that exclusively sold sports cars. The advent of the Cayenne, Panamera, and the newest addition, the Macan brought Porsche to a much more mainstream status. The Cayenne sells like hot cakes and has brought Porsche unprecedented success. It worked so well that they came out with the Macan, a smaller version that is poised to sell just as well. If a company is to be judged my the number of cars it sells and its profits, Porsche has done a great job, but some believe that the addition of these new models has changed the Porsche brand. It is no longer as exclusive, and it is no longer a sports car company.

There is a debate currently raging online as to whether Maserati is going through the same process. Indeed, at this point Maserati is introducing new models like the Ghibli, which are still expensive, but priced down market from what previous Maserati's cost. Another model coming out soon is the Levante. One has to be blind to see that this mirrors what Porsche did to a certain degree. These models are meant to up sales numbers (and they should be successful) but with those extra sales comes a decrease in exclusivity. Is a Maserati as special if they are becoming increasingly common?

Here is my advice on the direction that Maserati should go. I think that Maserati should come out with a Porsche Panamera competitor, and I also think that Maserati should add a new premium model. There has to be a balance between increasing sales and remaining special by offering high end exclusive models. I don't see Maserati being successful in following in the Germans' footsteps, building a separate model to appease absolutely everyone. Maserati has already moved down market enough. Time to bolster the brand with some shiny new expensive models.

The big question for me, is what is coming next after the Levante?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Porsche was once a brand that exclusively sold sports cars. The advent of the Cayenne, Panamera, and the newest addition, the Macan brought Porsche to a much more mainstream status. The Cayenne sells like hot cakes and has brought Porsche unprecedented success. It worked so well that they came out with the Macan, a smaller version that is poised to sell just as well. If a company is to be judged my the number of cars it sells and its profits, Porsche has done a great job, but some believe that the addition of these new models has changed the Porsche brand. It is no longer as exclusive, and it is no longer a sports car company.

There is a debate currently raging online as to whether Maserati is going through the same process. Indeed, at this point Maserati is introducing new models like the Ghibli, which are still expensive, but priced down market from what previous Maserati's cost. Another model coming out soon is the Levante. One has to be blind to see that this mirrors what Porsche did to a certain degree. These models are meant to up sales numbers (and they should be successful) but with those extra sales comes a decrease in exclusivity. Is a Maserati as special if they are becoming increasingly common?

Here is my advice on the direction that Maserati should go. I think that Maserati should come out with a Porsche Panamera competitor, and I also think that Maserati should add a new premium model. There has to be a balance between increasing sales and remaining special by offering high end exclusive models. I don't see Maserati being successful in following in the Germans' footsteps, building a separate model to appease absolutely everyone. Maserati has already moved down market enough. Time to bolster the brand with some shiny new expensive models.

The big question for me, is what is coming next after the Levante?
Its called the Maserati Ghibli... Levante is coming. There's no room above QP.

·
Registered
377 Posts
following the footsteps of Porsche is one of the better things they can do, if you look at all the other premium brands they can emulate there's nothing else they can aside from Porsche IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yea but the biggest difference between maserati now and porsche then is that Porsche was still independent when they made the decision to branch out. Maserati is insulated, they dont NEED to move, but they WANT to.

·
Registered
172 Posts
and porsche has done very well since

if anything porsche is a great example of how a sports car brand can survive an stay pure in an age where people want suvs and hybrids and cars that go from point a to b with no excitement.

·
Registered
57 Posts

if anything porsche is a great example of how a sports car brand can survive an stay pure in an age where people want suvs and hybrids and cars that go from point a to b with no excitement.
I don't know if its true that people want cars "that go from point a to b with no excitement."

How will Alfa be differentiated from Maserati though? Both are making luxury vehicles. I think Alfa will be more performance focused while Maserati will focus more on luxury. They just have to be careful not to step on each others toes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why does Alfa have to worry about Maserati and vice versa?

I think it is safe to say the most important aspect for MOST car buyers is to be able to get from point A to B

Some people will buy a car because of the brand and not really worry too much about braking performance of acceleration numbers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I doubt AR will have to worry about Maserati and vise versa for now.

They seem to be offering very unique vehicles and nothing that will directly compete with eachother.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Pure, pure to what? Pure would be sports cars thats it. Pure to the orginal definition of the brand.

Pure to profit sure...

If people were shopping based on a to b a Porsche or Maserati would never factor into the equation. There are emotional and psychological magnets that pull people towards brands based on I have this and you do not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the truth is that all car manufacturers make cars to MAKE MONEY

if they aren't making money. the company will close down

porsche does not sell very many 911s and boxsters

but they do sell lots of cayennes and soon macans.

that is what funds their sports cars and funds the company to continue to innovate.

I would say the 911s have gotten much better this generation. They are the best 911s to date and they continue to impress everyone.

They can make as many Cayennes as they want.. Just keep making 911s. And bring back the 6MT to the GT3 please.

·
Registered
377 Posts
All car makers make to make money but not all of them make every model to make money. ;)

Maybach and Lexus as examples had both their flagship vehicles cost them way more than they sold them for. It did well for both brands, sadly it factored into Maybach calling it quits

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is true, after all Lexus come from one of the highest volume brands, Toyota and then Maybach from Mercedes, which we all know is massive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts