Maserati Levante Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Showcased at the Balocco Proving Ground in Piedmont, Maserati's head of product development was behind the wheel of the new Levante and his driving was anything but tame.

Before putting the off-road capable SUV through its paces through the course, Roberto Corradi wanted to let us know that their original goal for the project was to create a car that was both 100% Maserati and 100% SUV. Keeping the brand DNA intact while stepping into a new segment is a challenge for everyone involved; engineers, designers, etc. But, it seems like Corradi’s team has succeeded in reaching their goal.

The test starts off on asphalt with quick acceleration from a complete stop. Now, any SUV can speed down a track but not all of them can be pushed hard into those turns like the Levante. In fact it was pushed so hard that two wheels were lifted off the ground when Corradi turned a corner at high speeds. From the interior camera, that landing after 2-wheeling looks deceptively soft, probably due to the standard air suspension that can easily absorb bumps and ridges in the road.

Going off-road doesn’t seem to be a challenge either as the Levante was able to easily handle the steep inclines, gravely roads, water, deep holes, and even an obstacle where the SUV has its two right wheels on a ramp.

A truly capable SUV that is priced at £54,335 ($71,545) for the base V6 diesel model and the price can go up to £60,285 ($79,251) if you add in the Luxury and Sport packages.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll have to test it out for myself and see reviews from other publications and potential owners but one thing Maserati always does right make a great sounding vehicle, must be why I don't see many with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I mean, it's nice to see it going through these things. I personally won't even be taking it through these trials and tribulations lol, but it's nice to know if I need to, it can be done. I'm wondering how soft of a ride it'll be over the rough terrain though. I expect it to be quite graceful

·
Registered
377 Posts
The truth is most owners won't aside from random situations like if they're going to the cottage and see some rough roads along the way. Majority of these will be on paved roads.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Exactly. But I guess it's just to prove that it is an all-terrain vehicle and can perform. The usual consumers won't really care for it but it'll appeal to a section of people out there

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah no doubt. As an SUV it has to do this even at a very basic level otherwise it would hold up to one of things that sort of define it as an SUV.

Plus the last thing Maserati needs for themselves right now is to deliver a product that doesn't even stick to the fundamentals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts