Maserati Levante Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are on this forum, I bet you are excited about the upcoming Maserati Levante. The Levante is not the only luxury CUV that is in the works though. It seems that everyone is developing their very own CUV to compete in this segment. Let's take a look at what those CUVs in development are.

Jaguar C-X17

The Jaguar C-X17 will be built on a new aluminum intensive chassis called the iQ Al platform. Design boss Ian Callum describes the C-X17 as a "bookend of what we could get out of this architecture," which would suggest that a sports car could be made to stop the books from falling off the other side of the shelf. Jaguar promises that the new platform will help the company's bottom line and also get enthusiasts excited. The C-X17 has a 2016 release date and a price around 30,000 pounds.

Bentley EXP 9 F Concept

Bentley unveiled its 4x4 concept car at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show. Bentley describes the vehicle as being "equally at home at an opera gala performance, on the sand dunes and the overtaking lane of the autobahn." The EXP 9 F concept had a Bentley W12 twin-turbo 6-litre with an 8-speed transmission, but the company's 4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8 or a hybrid drivetrain could fit in the SUV as well. Expect the Bentley SUV to cost at least $237,000.

Lamborghini Urus

Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann said earlier this year that the Urus could start production as early as 2017. Production of the Urus was delayed a year ago because of the economic climate of Europe, but now that China is picking up the slack, Lamborghini is getting excited about the Urus again. Expect the cost to be between $150,000 and $200,000.

Rolls-Royce Rumored SUV

So the Rolls-Royce SUV hasn't really been confirmed yet, but CEO Torsten Mueller-Oetvoes has said that an SUV is "under consideration." Given that every other Rolls-Royce is powered by a turbo-charged V12, it seems to be a good guess that the Rolls-Royce SUV will get the same. Note that the picture is simply a rendering. No word on price, but if you have to ask, you likely won't be able to afford it.

Aston Martin Lagonda

The Lagonda was revealed as a concept in 2009, and since then Aston Martin has announced that it will be making a production version. The production version will be built on a Mercedes-Benz GL-Class platform and the top of the line model will run on a 6.0 liter V12 engine. A hybrid and/or diesel version could also be offered. The production version is set to be unveiled by 2016 and is going to cost around $200,000.

Maserati Levante

And then there is the Levante. Built on the Jeep Grand Cherokees platform and powered by a 4.7 liter Ferrari V8. The Levante is to be released in 2015 and will cost between $80,000 and $150,000.

Now that you can see all the upcoming super luxury SUVs, what do you think? Is the Levante going to be the winner in this segment, or does one of its competitors appeal to your more?

·
Registered
377 Posts
$80,000 to start is much more than I expected. I thought they would keep pricing closer to the Porsche Cayenne. I'll have to see a comparison to see if it's really worth getting over the Cayenne.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that the Lamborghini looks amazing. But with its price coming in at $150,000+, I think that the Maserati Levante is still at the top of my list. I think its the best looking of the bunch, even when you include the Cayenne.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The other cars look like hackjobs.

The Levante is at least slightly unique. And so is the Urus.

The other cars look like they took the sedans and just added a SUV to the back lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
the Maserati and the Jag are the only that truly compete. The Urus will be north of $200K, the Aston and Bentley should be in the same ball park while the rolls will likely command Phantom type money...

·
Registered
377 Posts
the Maserati and the Jag are the only that truly compete. The Urus will be north of $200K, the Aston and Bentley should be in the same ball park while the rolls will likely command Phantom type money...
basically it will follow the same pricing structure or something similar to it's current vehicles from how it's going. doesn't seem like someone who wants a Levante will be able to afford the Urus.

·
Registered
89 Posts
basically it will follow the same pricing structure or something similar to it's current vehicles from how it's going. doesn't seem like someone who wants a Levante will be able to afford the Urus.
yea exactly, we should not be focusing on the Urus and Rolls Royce pipe dreams but what is already established in the market.

Number one is the Cayenne, Number two is the Range Rover Sport, number three is the ML63, number four is X5/X6 M....

·
Registered
377 Posts
yea exactly, we should not be focusing on the Urus and Rolls Royce pipe dreams but what is already established in the market.

Number one is the Cayenne, Number two is the Range Rover Sport, number three is the ML63, number four is X5/X6 M....
On Point!
I believe those are all the vehicles and possibly more which we will be able to see in a massive review of ALL the SUV's in this segment. I hope C&D and even Motor Trend jump on this idea when the time comes, after all we do want to get the best bang for our buck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, most of these upcoming vehicles won't really compete with the Levante. Even a maxed out Levante won't get close to $150,000 (though it will still be north of $100k.)

The Jaguar will be a direct competitor though. I think the Maserati looks better. Driving experience will be interesting to compare between the two vehicles.

Regardless of price, I think that the Aston Martin, Bentley, and Rolls Royce are not really that good looking. Although the RR is just a speculative rendering.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We will see.

These are unlike anything these manufacturers have ever created. So the pricing is really a guess at this point. It really depends how they position these cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We will see.

These are unlike anything these manufacturers have ever created. So the pricing is really a guess at this point. It really depends how they position these cars.
rolls royce has never heard of the word affordable, Aston is not in the volume game by any means and well as for Lamborghini....

The difference is Jaguar and Maserati both have aggressive expansion strategies being rolled out while the others do not..

·
Registered
377 Posts
rolls royce has never heard of the word affordable, Aston is not in the volume game by any means and well as for Lamborghini....

The difference is Jaguar and Maserati both have aggressive expansion strategies being rolled out while the others do not..
exactly and a brand like rolls royce wont stoop down to that level, it's not them, it's not where they should be, why go with the masses when they can create something super high end and unqiue,

·
Registered
172 Posts
I personally don't think any of these cars are meant to be mass production cars. They will all be expensive when compared to the market.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I personally don't think any of these cars are meant to be mass production cars. They will all be expensive when compared to the market.
Mass produced in their segment, just look at QP's, they aren't cheap but there's still a good amount of them on the road.
Plus I think Maserati is trying to make more of it's new cars into world vehicles, which will factor into it's "mass production" efforts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I mean its made from a factory designed to make many of them

So I guess it is mass produced

But commpared to other SUVs its really a niche market car. They dont pump these fast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Levante should sell pretty well though. At least well enough to keep upwith what the Cayenne moves. It is quite possible that the Levante becomes the best selling vehicle that Maserati makes once it goes on sale. The Jaguar should also sell a lot. The other s are kinda in a different league. They are far from practical and will cost a lot more money than the Levante.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think the Levante will sell as well as the Cayenne but if it even takes a chunk of the market share it will do well

if it sells as well as the Ghibli or QP I think it'll be a good model for Maserati.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts