Maserati Levante Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not sure what it means, do you know? It would be great if we can find out as it will help us make the connection of the name to the SUV it's going to be on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Checking on Wikipedia I find that Levante refers to a couple different locations. One is the "eastern Iberian coastal region of Spain." Another is a province in Majorca, Spain. There are other things that have Levante in it, but as one word of two. Sestri Levante: an Italian town. Sierra de Levante: a Spanish mountain range. Riviera di Levante: an Italian name for the Italian Riviera. And, Viento de Levante: an easterly wind that blows in the western Mediterranean Sea.

Must be something to do with those things.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Levante means east in Italian. Its meant to honor Maserati's early history. In 1919, the Maserati brothers moved the company to a bigger facility on Via Emilia Levante, in Bologna....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh I knew it. I remember reading that there is area called Levante.. Wonder why Maserati called it that.

Anything special about these regions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Names after a place and has to do with the history of the company. This all makes sense to me. Its nice that Maserati actually names its vehicles instead of throwing some letters and numbers together. I also think that Levante is a big step up from Kubang. Where did that name come from?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kubang would have been a horrible name. I believe that was the code name for the Levante when it was in concept form. Levante sounds so much better, sounds just as good as one of it's competitors, the Cayenne.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Names after a place and has to do with the history of the company. This all makes sense to me. Its nice that Maserati actually names its vehicles instead of throwing some letters and numbers together. I also think that Levante is a big step up from Kubang. Where did that name come from?
not sure but Levante sure sounds nicer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
what else could they have named it aside from Kubang and Levante?

they have a coupe named 'granturismo' which is far off from being anything like 'Levante' 'kubang' etc

·
Registered
77 Posts
It doesn't seem like Maserati really has any old model names that they could have brought back for the Levante. They probably felt that they needed to find a new name for it.

The company has its headquarters in Modena, so they could have tried to play off that somehow. The original Maserati brothers were named Alfieri, Bindo, Carlo, Ettore and Ernesto. I think most of those would make excellent model names. Any of these sound like a good alternative?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It doesn't seem like Maserati really has any old model names that they could have brought back for the Levante. They probably felt that they needed to find a new name for it.

The company has its headquarters in Modena, so they could have tried to play off that somehow. The original Maserati brothers were named Alfieri, Bindo, Carlo, Ettore and Ernesto. I think most of those would make excellent model names. Any of these sound like a good alternative?
Good point.
I wouldn't be surprised though if the new names have some relation to the past, they need to tell us how they came up with these names, I know a lot of owners would like to know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe they will give us some info on the naming and ideas behind the Levante when they do the big reveal. There is always a show with some empty rhetoric when a car debuts.

I like the idea of naming the cars after the original brothers. They all have good names that could become cars IMO. Don't know if the names are too common in Italy or something though. FOr example, an American company couldn't name its car the John (for multiple reasons LOL)

·
Registered
89 Posts
the thing about naming it levante after the road is that this is maseratis centennial year, so there is some sentimental value to it...

·
Registered
377 Posts
the thing about naming it levante after the road is that this is maseratis centennial year, so there is some sentimental value to it...
Nice! Makes sense, add's more meaning and a story to it which people who buy high end vehicles would appreciate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts